Medical Alert: Keep Batteries Away from Small Children

A recent medical alert warning says to keep batteries out of reach of small children. They can cause chemical burns, puncture the esophogus and are extremely hard to detect.

“Parents and caregivers should be aware of the potential hazards associated with battery exposure (particularly ingestion of button batteries), and ensure that products containing them are either kept away from children or that the batteries are secured safely in the product,” the CDC wrote.

Because the symptoms of swallowing a battery, including abdominal pain, fever and breathing problems, could be caused by many things, diagnosing the problem is difficult and may be delayed, according to the report.

In one case, a 2-year-old boy was released from an emergency department after being treated for choking and coughing, only to return a week later, when he died of hemorrhaging. In other cases where children died, they had initially been treated for viral infections, strep throat, and croup.

Linear PERS

Our most basic medical alert system; includes both a bracelet and necklace attachment.
Linear PERS Product Page


A mobile medical alert; speak directly to an operator through the wearable device.
eResponder Product Page


Speak directly through both the bracelet and necklace 24/7 to an EMT certified operator.
LifeSentry Product Page

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *